Well . . . some of you have been wondering if I (David) would ever earn my title of "Contributor" to this blogpost. So, I've decided that instead of merely posting comments to my wonderful wife's blogposts, I would actually make an entry of my own. But the only thing that I really take the "lead" on around the house are my many "projects," which I can only sometimes convince Natalie to help me out with. As such, I've decided to make my first post about my latest project in which I built a bookshelf. So, here goes . . .
(2) 1"x2"x4' select pine posts . . . $3.96
(2) 2"x4"x8' top choice studs . . . $5.96
(1) Quart of Red Oak Wood Finish . . . $5.98
Sandpaper, nails, screws, and woodfiller . . . $10.73(1) Quart Fast-Drying Polyurethane Clear Gloss . . . Free (left over from earlier project!)
Foam brushes . . . $2.62
10 hours of "hard" labor (from an unskilled laborer) . . . 10 hours x $6.25 per hour = $62.50
My trusty assistant Natalie (a.k.a "Heidi" - those Home Improvement fans out there will know what I'm talking about) . . . 2 hours x $11.50 per hour = $23.00
2 more hours of "hard" labor (from a "semi-skilled" laborer with 10 hours of experience) . . . 2 hours x $6.50 per hour = $13.00
One bada$$ bookshelf that you made with your own two hands . . . priceless!!!



11 comments:
Dude! Are you serious! I want one. That is really great. Do you think you could make an entertainment armoire???
Also, how is it that your assistant makes twice what you do? I'm calling reverse discrimination on this one! Stick it to the (wo)man!
I'm still waiting for mine... I love that you took a picture of the wood stain!
Well, we can't afford the $149.69 that went into making this, and don't even have the motivation to vacuum the house, much less build something, so since you seemed to get so much satisfaction out of this project, we'll just let you make us one as an anniversary present... you have until June 15.
Looks like your next project should be painting the inside of your garage!
Your pictures for the post were HILARIOUS. You'd be a great scrapbooker, David. Maybe you should come to next month's Enrichment activity.
Very, very impressed with the shelf.
Loved your post...very creative. Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging!
-Nicolle
Wow!! Great Shelf!! You guys are an awesome team!! When do we get one?? Only kidding?
How is the hand?? You need an electric sander!!
Thank you for the invite to Enrichment, but I was thinking of starting Manrichment to compete . . . our first activity will be building a bookshelf! By the way . . . who is "anonymous"? Our second project will be painting the inside of my garage (thanks for volunteering Michael).
P.S. If anyone could tell me how to use HTML tags, I would most appreciate it!
Dave,
Just writing so that you will have the most number of reply's.
Nice job on the bookshelf by the way. I am quite impressed. It was great to see you both this past weekend.
t-dogg
So for Christmas this year Greg and I were thinking about how much we need a nice bookshelf...
Post a Comment