Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Preschool

This week was Finley's first week of preschool!
We decided back in the fall that starting school in January would be perfect timing with my soccer camp work starting to pick up.

As this week approached I started second guessing myself and thinking that maybe he was too young to be away from me for so long (3 hrs a day/2 days a week). But with working from home, my new church calling (Primary Pres), and keeping up with the regular SAHM stuff, I decided that for my sanity this would be a good move.

Finley's first day was great!
He walked right into his classroom and starting playing like he knew what he was supposed to do. I stayed and talked with the teacher for about 20 minutes before leaving just to make sure he was comfortable. No tears when I left! He simply kissed me and said a quick goodbye and got back to business.



I went home a little sad, but no tears from me either.

I do think this was harder on me than on him though.
I was able to get a lot of work done from home and now all my time with Finley seems more special. I am more patient with him, more engaged, and have more energy for creating fun things to do (let's hope this lasts).




When I went to pick him up Finley did break down and burst into tears. The teacher was confused saying he did great the whole time. Maybe Finley just realized I was gone that whole time? Or he was sad to go? Or maybe he was just tired and hungry.

Later that day he did take a 3+ hour nap!

Even though we had a dramatic ending to his first day of preschool it did go very well.
I wasn't at home worried about how he was adjusting or if he was sad.
I think in the long run this move will make us both very happy.
I am really looking forward to the rest of the school year and so is Finley.



3 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

How fun! I'm so glad that his first day was a good one!
And, I bet you're an AWESOME Primary President!!
Question is, how many year's have you been in Primary now?

andrea said...

Sounds like Caroline crying when Andrew would come to pick her up from nursery. She didn't want to go!

Glad it went well. Is Ms. Moore one of his teachers?

Natalie said...

Jennie - I have been in primary for 4 years and counting now. I guess there isn't any hope of getting out of there before Finley is a sunbeam!

Andrea - no his teacher's name is Ms. Austin.