Monday, March 14, 2011

New York Getaway!


This past weekend I left Finley home with David and hopped on a plane to NYC!
What would make me do something so wild and crazy?
My sister produced, well co-produced, her first tap show!
I wouldn't have missed it for the world.


The trip started off in typical 'dorrance' form when my mom realized she left her cell phone in my car and her debit card at home. Nice. Here she is trying to see if her phone is lost in her cavernous purse by calling the phone. Not so much.



Little set backs never get us down though!
Upon arriving in NYC we were greeted by our hired car which turned out to be a limo! Loved riding in style. We definitely felt important.




When we checked into our hotel located in Times Square my parent's room got the hook up with this fantastic view of the Chrysler building. You could also see a corner of Times Square.



It was fun being in such a populous area and near lots of stores. I was able to go do some shopping in the mornings when all the sleepy heads were still in bed. (My internal alarm clock did not let me sleep in very much)



Even though it is always fun to visit the city, I never understand why people want to live here...too crazy for me. Give me trees and hills people!



Friday night we met up with my good friend Rizzo from High School. She was able to join us for dinner and the show. So great to catch up with friends!


Luckily my dad was able to see the show too. He arrived Friday afternoon from Spain, ate dinner with us, saw the show, spent the night, and then flew out early the next morning to Las Vegas. He sure is one busy man!
Onto the show! It was amazing! It was so clever, raw, artistic, and emotional. The best dancing I have ever seen! I can't even put into words just how good it was. Here is one review, and I will post more soon (and here's another!). Michelle's dancing and choreography were da bomb!



Here are two of the tappers from the show Nicholas and Carson. Nicholas is also in STOMP with Michelle. It was fun to see so many friends in the show!


Here we are greeting Michelle post performance. Did I mention that all of her shows sold out? Originally there were only suppose to be 3 shows, but when all of those sold out they added one more. And then that one sold out in 24 hours! Yay!



Even though we kept crazy, late night schedules, there were times I wish Finley could have been there with me. Like when I saw this firetruck...



which was attached to this Ferris Wheel inside of the Toys R Us.



Or when I saw this huge moving dinosaur inside the store. Finley would have died and gone to Heaven!



But I think he would have most enjoyed seeing Elmo out on the street and...




riding the 'F' train or subway with Mimi.



Saturday afternoon we got to go and visit Michelle's apartment. I think I was the only there who hadn't seen it yet.

It was so fun to visit her in Brooklyn and catch up with her and Mishay.




We got to see the show again on Saturday night! It was even better the second night. Here is Michelle with co-producer Dormeshia and tap legend Josh Hilberman. There were lots of tap peeps there to see the show. If only we had been there Thursday night when Dule Hill was in the crowd. Dang!


We also got to hang out with Michelle's good friend from College, Angelina. She flew in all the way from Los Angeles to see the show! Now that is a good friend!



Even though it was amazing to see the show and fun to have a getaway without the baby, I still missed him lots and was glad to come home on Sunday. And of course I couldn't return home without some gifts for the little man!



What can I say...this kid loves Fire Trucks!
They did film the show Sat night so I hope to put up some links to the dances soon. My favorite was this piece called 'Three to One' which starred Michelle, Mishay, and one other modern dancer. It was the best thing I have ever seen Michelle in! So different, raw, and emotional. It totally made me cry! Congratulations Michelle! We are so very proud of you. And as mom said post performance ... "She has arrived".

4 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

So. Much. Fun!! I ♥ NYC!!
And...since Finley is so in love with firetrucks, Candy, Jeremy's mom, has taken her grandkids on tours of fire stations in NC. You should see if you can take Finley on a tour of one too! I be he would love that!

Anonymous said...

..and Mimi also said "she is a serious artist, taking the art form to a new level, pushing the envelope!"
What a great weekend...next year Finley and David must come too!

Kathryn Palmer said...

My mom told me you were taking this trip. It sounded like a whirlwind weekend. Michelle is amazing. I am looking forward to possibly seeing some video.
David cracks me up. I am looking forward to more of his food storage receipes!

Rachael said...

How Fantastic! What a great weekend for so many reasons but especially to celebrate Michelle! She is amazing!