Yep. That's my mom. In her early years of dancing of course, but that is her!
This past weekend was my mom's final horah at Duke University where she is a professor of dance. After 32 years of teaching ballet for Duke, she is finally retiring. I must say, I couldn't be happier for her. Of course she will continue to teach and run her ballet school in Chapel Hill, but still, I can feel the load being lifted off her shoulders. Maybe now she will finally have time to keep the house clean and cook dinner every night. Ha ha ha. Just kidding mom, we love you.
The weekend was filled with two wonderful shows which included dances by both current and former Duke students. I couldn't believe how many of her former dancers came back to dance their old pieces for my mom. It was such a treat for her, and she was really touched by all those who came (some came from as far as California!).
Well, we were actually the ones being treated. We were able to see some of her best choreography that she set on Duke dancers which included Valley, Palladio, and the Pavarotti pieces. They were all awesome!
Following the final performance we were treated to a lovely intimate dinner with her alumni and colleagues. It was so special and her co-workers had the most wonderful things to say about her. I think she was really touched by all the effort and work that went into her retirement celebration.
My favorite part of the evening included a top ten list of things they would miss about M'Liss. I can't remember all of them, but here are some of the highlights: Diet Coke (my mom is notorious for having a can of Diet Coke in her hand at all times of the day!), her messy desk at work (they came out and dumped trash, papers, and notebooks, all over the podium and floor to symbolize her desk. It was hilarious!), her car (on top of the mess from her 'desk' they added costumes, tutus, etc to symbolize her ridiculously cluttered car and trunk. I was laughing so hard at this point I started crying), and also her famous quotes from class which included phrases such as 'mittens', 'soggy diapers', and 'well that was interesting ______' (fill in the blank with a variety of dance terms such as timing, choreography, spacing, etc.)
The weekend was a huge success and we are all so proud of our very own prima ballerina! We love you mom!
4 comments:
Another huge event for your family! That's awesome. I knew your mom taught dance, but I didn't know she taught at Duke. Why do I only ever see Carolina Blue around you, Natalie? Where's the love? :)
Congratulations to your mom!
What a nice picture of your Mom!!! I wish we could have seen the 10 things they will miss about your Mom on stage. I bet that was fun to watch! I hope your Mom enjoys her partial retirement!
Nada--you are too, too sweet to commemorate yo Mama...It was great because you were all there to share with me! I am just catching up with your blog since Halloween!
Love you both!
Post a Comment