This past week I was able to feel our little baby move for the first time.
At our last visit to the OB we were told that I should be able to start feeling him move any day. It is possible that he was moving before now, and I didn't notice or know what it was...but I am pretty sure I can feel him moving about now!
It is a very strange feeling. I have to concentrate and pay attention to notice it, but it feels like little bubbles popping or even butterfly wings moving. It is very exciting but kind of freaky too. David is particularly jealous that he can't feel him move. It will be quite some time before anyone on the outside will be able to feel it.
We are slowly starting to prepare for our baby boy to arrive. We have three main projects to complete and we were able to complete one this past week. Of course it was the easiest and smallest of the projects, but hey it still counts right?
Our closet in the baby's room was being used to store all of our food storage. The past week we worked on building new shelves in our guest bedroom to maximize some unused space in there and transfer things over so that the baby can have more room. Below are some before and after pictures:
And now we need your help!
Lately I have been scared to go into Babies R Us to register or even look at baby products because that store is so huge and overwhelming! There are so many brands, so much to choose from, and I have no idea what items I really need to be prepared. Please post a comment on this post and let me know what are some must have items and what I can do without. Was there something that you thought you desperately needed and it turned out you didn't? Or any products that are duds? Anything you swear by? Please let me know in your responses below.



12 comments:
i was so overwhelmed registering for baby products for shaelyn that i came home and cried. then i went back with a friend and she really helped me out. so i would love to accompany you while you register just to help you make sense of the items/brands and when and if you will ever need things.
the truth is, every baby and mommy is different, so things that some mommies or babies love and swear by, you will hate and vice versa. so that makes it even more tricky!
but the things i loved and am so glad i got (a lot of these were suggestions from my experienced mom friend who came with me and i'm glad i listened):
- lap pads - i used them when nursing to keep milk from getting everywhere, on the changing table to avoid having to wash the whole covering if she peed on just a little part (and a boy will pee all the time, believe me), and in our bed when i would nurse her at night laying down. SO glad i had these.
- finger nail files - some moms aren't scared to cut newborn nails, but seriously it freaked me out and i'm so glad i had the little emory boards. i just filed her nails away (they are so soft anyway) until she was about 5 or 6 months old and i trusted my hand-eye coordination on her little nails better.
- wipes warmer - this is one of those "luxury items" that you don't need and lots of moms don't like, but newborns HATE having a cold wipe up against them - it's cold and shocking! the wipes warmer took all the tears out of changing diapers. love it. worth the $14.
- johnson & johnson disposable nursing pads - if you are breastfeeding, these are a must. everyone i know uses them. but they do not sell them at babies r us. you can get them at target, walmart, or any major drug store (cvs, eckerds, etc). save yourself the hassle of having to return those "washable" pads babies r us sells when you realize how uncomfortable they are and how much you hate them!!
- swing - but of course, everyone knows how much i love this since this was the only place shaelyn would sleep for the first 9 months of her life!
things i took back (or wish i had):
- bottle warmer - seriously, some moms love these but i found i could warm a bottle more efficiently with hot water in a measuring cup than with that thing. often times i would have to run it through the "warming cycle" twice to get it to the right temp. and since i was breastfeeding, i wasn't using a bottle in the middle of the night and didn't need to go downstairs to warm a bottle anyway.
- exersaucer - shaelyn loved her jumparoo WAY more than her exersaucer. some kids are mellow and will sit still in those things and play in them for a long time. shaelyn was no such kid, and i got about 2 months limited use out of it before i had to pack it up and put it away. if you can only get one or the other, i would definitely get a jumparoo.
- blankets - you get so many of these, and you really never use them. some kids don't like to be swaddled (ie: my child) and you really only need 2 or 3 for keeping warm or putting on the floor to play.
- tummy time mat - tummy time! ha! most moms i talked to said that their little ones HATED tummy time. shaelyn played on her mat once. this was returned.
ok girl, see why you need to take me? i could list a million other things, but i'll let some other people have a turn.
I am so excited for you guys! You're going to be awesome parents- and that little baby is going to be so lucky :) I'll write you an email with my suggestions so I don't take up too much room here!
another impressive project nicely done!
and...i'm no help for the mom advice Ü but, you'll just get to be one more experienced person i trust for advice when it's my turn!
You just have to figure out what kind of mom you will be- my dad calls me an "earth mother." So 99% of the stuff at babies r us I consider junk. A lot of the baby stuff I got I ordered online from overseas- like my sling from Germany and wool nursing pads from Sweden (and unlike Shelley, I can't stand disposable nursing pads, I prefer the washable ones). I discovered that what baby stuff I got depended a lot on the fact we don't have a lot of room in our house- like a doorway jumper instead of a jumperoo (which I would recommend anyway since you can jump higher in it than the jumperoo) and I would just use a throw pillow (which I already had) if I needed to prop Max up while nursing instead of getting a boppy. Oh, and I would just bite (and still do) Max's nails- it was a suggestion form another mom and it worked great since Max would never let me pin his hands down long enough to trim them (even when nursing). We should just plan a registry party and all of us moms can come with you and help you out!
The great thing is, we live in a town with plenty of stores nearby. It's not like you have to have every little thing right away. If there's something you think your little guy will like when he's two months old, you can go get it. I think I felt overwhelmed the first time feeling like I had to have EVERYTHING ready, but when they're first born, they really don't need much.
I'm a fan of the boppy, but it's one of those things that I didn't use for very long. I have one you can borrow if you want to buy a slipcover that isn't pink and flowery. :)
I'm with Shelley on the J&J nursing pads. And don't forget to buy lanolin if you're planning on nursing. That was a MUST.
I love the baby bathtubs where I can bathe her on the counter and not have to bend over the regular tub. But DON'T get one that folds up for storage. I made that mistake and it leaks out of the joints where it folds. Lame design.
We have the little travel swing that is a jungle print. Caroline is not really interested anymore if you want to borrow that, too. Just let me know.
I also was really particular about having a glider and ottoman with Brandon. I wanted one that was padded, but that I wouldn't sink into. I wanted to be able to stand up easily both when I was big pregnant and when I was holding a baby. Then I found I didn't use it very often with Caroline. Like Shelley said, every baby's different. That's part of the joy--figuring your little guy out. :)
I registered carying around a bookclled Baby Bargains. I highly recommend it. We were able to save some money and it gave me a place to start when I had NO IDEA. It also had great advice and Consumer Reports info in it. They sell the book on Amazon.com for pretty cheap. I also recommend taking another mommy with you. This would have helped me so much.
One thing I cannot live without is a breast pump. It really, really helped me through engorgement (that was a rough week).
Good job with the shelves, David.
Can never have too many bibs!
Because I wound up bottle-feeding, I didn't use the boppy nearly as much as I anticipated. Our daughter did use it for some tummy time, though.
The boppy changing table pads are great...they come in a 3-pack, save you from having to wash the whole big changing pad when your babe inevitably pees while you're changing the diaper.
The ErgoBaby carrier is fantastic. Our daughter loves being toted around in it.
Congrats!
Shelley covered most of it, but I would like to add a couple.
Burp cloths of any shape and size! You go through a ton. One puke and you've gotta grab another one.
Also, try to stay away from too many newborn size outfits, like fancy clothes, stuff that you want to keep nice. Onesies and sleepwear is mostly what they wear for the first few months.
I am glad you found out what you are having! I couldn't wait until Spencer was born and was glad to know so that I could prepare a little bit. I loved it when I first felt Spencer move. I was freaked out as well. It is even crazier when the baby gets bigger and you looked down at your stomach and it looks like someone is doing to wave or...when the left side of your stomach is huge and tight and the right is umm...not so much. Those babies are pretty wild...weird for sure but special too...it is hard to explain but you are figuring it out. As for recommendations...I can't remember anything really except to get the bibs that are plastic on one side so that drool and stuff doesn't soak through...I only found them at Wal-mart.
A "Pack-and-play" (collapsable crib) is priceless--especially if it is at grandma's house.
I am so excited for you guys!
definately a baby bjorn..the active/sport one. It has the lumbar support and is such a lifesaver! Also my kids have LOVED the little aquariums or jungle things that strap to the side of the crib and play music and light up...let's you sleep in a little more so they can play safely!
Be sure to read reviews on strollers..I wish I had! The citi mini by baby jogger is awesome, folds easy, lightweight, and can be a normal stroller or jogging stroller. It was the only stroller I found, after 2 years of research mind you, that had awesome ratings across the board.
The boppy is great for a lot of things, not just nursing. Highly recommend that.
if you are starting to get uncomfortable sleeping..go get a snoogle..it is like an adult boppy and so comfy. It helps your back and hips a lot.
Hope this helps, good luck!
Post a Comment