Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Topsail Island 2009


This past week was our annual family beach week at Topsail Island. It was our biggest group at the beach to date! There were 13 adults and three children plus a few other guests that dropped in and out. Despite this gloomy picture above we had fabulous weather and it only rained a couple of times.
This was our first beach week at Topsail with Finley and his second time visiting the beach. It still amazes me all the things we had to pack for the baby. Our car was literally over flowing with stuff and there was barely room in the car for us! But the good news is we didn't forget anything.
Once we got there we were all pretty tired from the drive...well all of us except Finley!
Our group at the beach was particularly large because David's parents and sister's family came with us. It was so much fun to have them join the crazy Dorrance family for the week. I just hope we didn't scare them off.
Finley got to meet his one and only 1st cousin Gabi! She was a little shy at first, but eventually warmed up to him.
My cousin Linda and her family also joined us. I think that makes their daughter Claire Finley's 2nd cousin?
Here is the whole gang out to dinner. We should have gotten a better group shot!
And here we all are watching the storm clouds roll in. Gabi was so excited!
Going to the beach with a baby is a whole lot different than our usual lounge around do nothing vacations, but we still had fun. David and Finley watched a little BB (Big Brother) together.

David and my mom hunted for sharks teeth.
David found the biggest one I have ever seen!

Finley enjoyed napping with Mimi out on the porch listening to the ocean sounds.


Finley and Claire enjoyed a little fun in a baby pool that Mike and Linda brought. Thank goodness they did because the ocean was too cold for little Finley!

We got to enjoy a couple of games of Bocce and smash ball. Unfortunately David broke two of our bocce balls! Yikes I didn't know they could break.


Finley loved watching all the babies around him.

And playing with his uncle Donovan.
I was especially excited that I got to go golfing one day with my dad, Donovan, and Mike. It was definitely nice to have so many willing folks around to watch the baby. It made everything a little easier on us and David and I even got some alone time.
Here are some family photos:
The Harris/Bean clan


The Nani (Finley's Great grandma and my only grandparent)



Me and the happy baby.



Our little family.

We didn't get a picture of the Dorrance's because it just didn't feel right taking a picture without my sister Michelle there. I hope she can join us next year. Thanks again to the Harris', Beans, and Adams for joining us. And a big thanks to my mama for making it all happen and working so hard so we could relax. We love you guys!

7 comments:

Miss Pants said...

Looks like you guys had a great time! Maybe I should venture out to the NC beaches one day...

carrie said...

It looks so gorgeous there! I'm jealous! Finley looks like he was having a great time. Those were some huge happy smiles. Ü Shark teeth? Do you just find those on the beach instead of shells? And, guess you all are stronger than you think when playing Bocce ball!

andrea said...

You guys had a high-quality bocce set, too! I'm so surprised it broke.

What great pics. Finley always looks so happy and content.

A Hunter said...

Such beautiful pictures! What great memories!

Crystal and Brad Barger said...

It is definitely different with a little one at the beach. Still enjoyable but not the same. Glad you all had fun.

Angelina said...

Were your ears burning last night? Hadley and I had a long convo about how insanely cute your kid is and what a great mom you are! Love to you and the fam.

Kathryn Palmer said...

It looks like you guys had a great time at the beach. Finley is already looking like a little boy. I just love the pictures of him in the bumbo seat!