Monday, July 5, 2010

Red, White, & Blue

I was feeling a little patriotic this past weekend with it being the 4th of July and recently reading 1776, so we decided to head downtown to see the annual 4th of July parade.

David made fun of me for coordinating our outfits, but I think we look cute all decked out in red, white and blue. Finley was very excited that he got to wave a flag and play with the windmill his Mimi bought him this past week.


We arrived downtown a little early, met up with some friends, and found a nice shady spot towards the beginning of the parade route.
Finley was just mesmerized by the parade.


It started off with some gentlemen dressed in authentic period clothes and playing drums and fifes (which Amber was able to identify for us because David and I couldn't remember what they were called).



Then came the soldiers with their guns.





And next up a man on stilts!
So, just the beginning of the parade had to do with the 4th of July. Everything else was just kind of a mix of local groups and bands.
Finley was really interested in this super tall guy though.





And these roller derby girls were cracking me up.
One wiped out as they were passing by and so they all went down on one knee in her honor.
I could so be a derby girl.
Can't you just see it? I would be ruthless!



Finley loved waving to people, clapping his hands, and bopping to the beat of the drums.




I thought the bagpipes were a nice addition too.
Andrea - do you think your neighbor is in this group of kilts?
Only real men can wear skirts and make it look so manly.



And then there was this group....We actually walked behind them on the way to the parade and overheard them talking about joining the parade. Apparently you can just insert yourself into the mix and get away with it!
Next time we are so doing that!




And last but not least there was a band from Canada bringing up the rear.
Apparently they wanted to celebrate our Independence as well.



Finley's first ever parade was a success! The loud music and even the scary men who were in the parade (not pictured because they were dressed in horrifying Halloween costumes) didn't seem to bother him one bit.
Happy 4th of July!

4 comments:

Miss Pants said...

Very cool. Guess I should read the paper or watch the local news, I never know what's going on around town.

carrie said...

I think your coordinated outfits are very festive!

I thought the parade and festival were a lot of fun, too. I'm totally adding this to my annual 4th celebration.

andrea said...

We were talking to our neighbor on Saturday evening and he was in the parade! We had gone to Jamestown to watch their little five minute parade and I thought he said he was there, but now that I look at the name of this band, I think we misunderstood him. Go bagpipers!

Kathryn Palmer said...

Looks like a fun summer so far...parades, field trips,and vacations at the beach! Finely is such a cutie.