Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Master Bath Part 3

Well it is time for another installment of our master bath makeover!
We have been updating our bathroom ever since we moved in and I believe this is our third step in the process (with hopefully just one more to go).
Our bathroom cabinets were looking a little blah.
After much deliberation we decided that we could sand down and either paint or stain them as well as add some new hardware to spruce them up.



As with all of our recent home improvement projects we had an extra set of helping hands.
Finley was all about helping his daddy out!
David spent a good chunk of time sanding and stripping the cabinets of their former color. They always say that when you are re-staining it is all in the prep work.






But many hands make light work!



Here are the cabinets stripped down to the bare wood.




On the side of our cabinets was a strange piece of particle board. David figured out that buying a piece of plywood to cover it up and stain to match the rest of the cabinets would be easier and better looking than trying to re-stain the fake wood.




We bought some stain that we though was a nice espresso color, but when we started staining it looked red! After about 5 coats of stain it finally started to look like the color we wanted.





Next it was time to drill in the new piece of wood.




This kid is all boy!





Just look at that grin!




Next we installed the new hardware.
I do believe that this was the hardest part of the process. It look a lot of measuring, remeasuring, and adjusting to get everything level and into newly drilled holes.
Putting the cabinets back on was no picnic either!
We replaced the old hinges to match the new hardware so once again new holes had to be made!


Here is a close up of the drawers.
With the flash on in this photo you can see the hints of red reflecting outward.


But this is what it looks like normally.
I think it turned out great!
Very modern and chic looking.
I must say David pretty much did the whole project himself.
What a handyman. Great job babe!



6 comments:

Sawyers Family said...

I LOVE IT!! They look great and so much more cost effective than buying all new ones! I think they look really chic with your fancy faucets! Good Job, David!

andrea said...

Way to go! We haven't ventured into a project like this yet. I love it, too.

carrie said...

They look so good! Nicely done!

Kathryn Palmer said...

I love seeing your home projects. The bathroom cabinets looks awesome, and the newly cut shrubs also look great! Well done. I could not believe how many branches you had hauled away.

Greg and Nicolle said...

I love it- it looks awesome!

Rachael said...

Looks great! Nice job David...and Finely!