Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Slash and Burn



Ever since we moved into our home we have had some very large bushes in our front yard.
David really liked them because they created some privacy and we didn't feel like the neighbors were watching us. Well after four years of living here we decided it was time for them to get a trim. Or what I like to call a little slash and burn.



David's parents came over one Saturday with every trimmer, chain saw, and clipper they owned. I don't think we ever realized just how big our "bushes" had gotten.



I mean they could support David's weight!


While cutting everything back we found a tag of what the bushes were supposed to be. Let me just tell you what the description says in case you can't read it:

Pfitzer Compact Juniper

A compact, dwarf evergreen, gracefully arching, dense branches covered with handsome gray-green foliage. Very hardy.
Well they got the hardy part right, but dwarf evergreen?
I guess they hadn't seen the ones in our yard!

After 3.5 hours of labor by 4 adults we had achieved our goal!




Before:














After:






I mean you couldn't even see the house from the
road!









Before:


















After:








Nor could you see the road from our house!









Before:














After:








But now we have a little bit of privacy without the massive wall of bushes! David sculpted our bushes into bonsai looking trees!










When all was said and done we had two very large piles of branches to be removed.






I am so happy with how our yard looks now! What a difference. Thanks Grammie & Abuelo for all your hard work and help! We could not have done it without you!

4 comments:

carrie said...

Another exciting home improvement project by the Harris'. Ü

It looks great!

Oh, and how'd the hauling away of the branches go?

andrea said...

I don't know if I'll recognize your house next time I stop by! I like the new look.

A Hunter said...

I just keep thinking how much fun my girls would have with those fort like bushes!

Sawyers Family said...

I can't believe how different your house looks and how much shrubbery you had to groom! That's crazy!