Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Summer Fun!

 

As the summer is coming to a close, we tried to fit in a few fun activities! Here are a few little day trips/activities that we recently took!

Bog Garden:

One cooler afternoon we went over to the bog garden to have a picnic dinner and walk around the gardens.


There are a few little trails and lots of wildlife!


We enjoyed jumping on rocks and checking out waterfalls.


Our little family.



They have some beautiful lily pads.


An old water mill.


Cuties.




Country Park:

One very hot Saturday morning we decided to head over to Country Park to ride the duck boats they have on a small pond.


It was pretty cheap, but the boys got bored quickly. 


And it was super hot!



Finley and I traded out taking turns paddling.


Maybe we will try again on a cooler day!


Hike at Mayo State Park:

One Saturday Finley was invited to go hiking with his friends.


They headed up to Mayo State park which has a nice short hike to some waterfalls and creek.


The boys enjoyed getting wet and cooling off in the water!


They are much braver than I am!




Finley, Dylan, Cade, & Finn.


Michelle at the Nasher:

This summer Michelle came to dance at the Nasher museum in Durham as part of a collaboration with an old childhood friend who is an artist.



Her friend John Arnold created this amazing platform for Michelle and fellow dancer Byron to dance a Capela on.


Donovan helped with the sound for the show making sure everything was appropriately mic'ed.


The performance was about 45 minutes long and the boys were a bit squirely. But after the show, they were allowed to dance on the platform themselves!


It was an amazing performance and the first time the boys had seen Michelle perform.


These are the children of the Ballet School of Chapel Hill dance partners. We grew up together and have been friends since grade school. It was such a fun reunion! 



John, the man behind this amazing show!



Jackson mid performance lol. 


Seeing Auntie Michelle after the show. 





Our Garden:

All credit goes to David in our garden department! Unfortunately, our berries didn't do so well, but we had huge success with cucumbers and cantaloupe.


We got so many cucumbers we had to keep giving them away.


Our garden bed was overflowing!


We only got a handful of decent tomatoes. 


While we grew a lot of cantaloupes, the timing of picking them was tricky! They had to ripened on the vine. If we picked them too soon, they didn't taste very well, and if we waited too long, they over ripened and spoiled. So far, we have had one really good one! lol


I planted two hydrangeas, but I am afraid I have killed them. 
Maybe I planted them in the wrong place. Time will tell.



Our rose bushes did well.


And so did these flowers.


And I love when our canna lilies are in bloom!


City Lake Park: 


Finley did a coding camp down in HP this summer. While he was at camp the boys and I ventured over to HP city lake park.


They have an adorable train, old carousel, and huge playground.


They boys had a blast!





We need to go back again before the close for the season!


Pool Fun:


As always, we spent a lot of time at the pool this summer!


I got the boys matching bathing suits much to Finley's embarrassment lol.



They boys loved playing with Finley at the pool. And I think he enjoyed it as well.

 

Who's that hot couple?!? LOL






The boys also loved playing with Ms. Annie who was a mother's helper for us this summer. She is so great with them!



It's been such a great summer we are sad to see it come to a close! 
Though I am so ready for the boys to be back in preschool! 


2 comments:

Emily said...

It looks like an amazing summer!

I had a ton of cucumbers as well, nothing else really grew in my garden, but the cucumbers were out of control.

Andrea said...

What fun summer adventures! Your garden looks amazing. At least you found one crop that works well! We only got about 3 cucumbers off our plants. And most of them were ball-shaped instead of elongated.