This past weekend was filled with opera and dance! On Friday night David and I went to our very first opera Strange Fruit starring Nicolle Alexandre (aka Nicolle Sherwood from church) at Memorial Auditorium on UNC's Campus.
It was fantastic! I had never heard Nicolle sing before because we have been absent both times she has sung in church. She was amazing! I really wish I was blessed with such talent. The actual opera itself was very good too. It had a great story line, fantastic characters, and beautiful costumes like the one Nicolle is wearing here. David didn't even fall asleep once! (that's how good you know it was).
After the Opera we were able to meet her sister and brother in law who came to watch as well. Then we attended a reception for all the performers and family. We had such a great first opera experience! Thanks Nicolle and Greg for inviting us! And Nicolle you stole the show!

Onto Dance! This weekend was the North Carolina Rhythm Tap Festival held at my mom's studio, The Ballet School of Chapel Hill. Some amazing tap dancers came down to teach master classes and perform. I wanted to take from everyone, but I had to limit myself due to physical restrictions. In the morning I took a class from Mr. Joseph Wiggans. He is amazing and preformed with my sister in
Imagine Tap last year. Such a nice guy too!

My sister's friend Carson also came down to take class and perform. She is really good too. Here are Michelle and Carson being silly in the car on the way to pick up Joseph for class.
Here I am with my tap buddy Aimee! I take class with Aimee on Thursday nights from Gene. I have so much fun hanging out with her. Her daughter also taps and she is amazing! Almost as amazing as Michelle.

I took Michelle's advanced tap class and it totally kicked my butt. She is so unbelievable. She taught us these incredible hard steps. She is probably the best white girl tapper in the world and I am not exaggerating. I mean the things she does with her feet...it is practically impossible! And her rhythm and time...astounding.
And now I will take a few more minutes to brag about my sister...she is a professional tap dancer based out of NYC and has danced with all the great tap dancers from Savior Glover, to Diane Walker, Josh Hilberman, Barbara Duffy, Ayodele Casel, Dereck Grant, and more! The list just goes on and on! She has been in two commercials, danced at The Apollo Theater, the Cannes Film Festival, the winter Olympics, the Jerry Lewis Telethon, she has performed in three running (meaning more that just one performance) shows Derrick Grant's
Imagine Tap, Common Ground, and Savior Glover's
Improvography. She has also been featured in Dance Magazine and Dance Spirit several times. She teaches at two dance studios in NYC and also travels the world to teach at tap festivals and perform. She has been in too many tap companies to name. I am sure there is more, but this is what I came up with off the top of my head. Anyways can you tell I am a proud sister? I love you Michelle and you are the best female tap dancer in the world!
4 comments:
It looks like you had a great time. I have always admired tap dancers. It takes so much talent, and I am pretty sure that I don't have any tap talent in me. Maybe I will have to come and take some lessons in your garage. : ) Sign me up!
NAT! Uhm yeah. I second, third and forth your statements about your brillz sister. When are you coming to LA!?
I love to watch tap dancers! It is absolutely amazing what they can do with their feet. And, it's similar to my all-time favorite dance style- clogging. I'm thinking I may sign Max up for clogging lessons in a couple of years. I always wanted to do it, but didn't know of anyone who taught it in our area growing up. And I'm all for lessons in your garage too.
What a fun weekend you guys had! I wish I could've gone to the opera, too. Glad you guys enjoyed it. We need to have a ward talent show one of these days so you can show us your moves!
Post a Comment