Wednesday, October 26, 2011

One Proud Sister


This past March I had the privilege of going up to New York to see a show that my sister, Michelle Dorrance, co-produced. 
She performed as well as choreographed several amazing tap dances. 
I was totally blown away. 

A few months ago we found out that she was nominated for a Bessie Award for OUTSTANDING PRODUCTION (of a work that stretches the boundaries of a traditional or culturally specific form).  We were all so excited for her! 
She was nominated alongside some heavy hitters in her category and so my sister convinced me that she wouldn't win. After all, just being nominated was a huge honor. 

Well Monday night as I was laying in bed I got a call from my mom and all I could hear in the background was loud cheering and applause. It turns out that we aren't the only ones that thinks she is pretty damn amazing. 

Here is a clip featuring her dancing and choreography from that evening of dance that she won the award for:  


The last one if my favorite :). 
The piece she won the award for is the one with lots of dancers in white clothes and socks. And because I can't put into words myself just how awesome she is, I am glad someone else can: 

"Remembering Jimmy pays homage to a tap master in both adoring and unaffected terms. It’s hypnotic; the stage is alive with slippery footsteps as dancers — dressed in white and wearing socks — slide from side to side like a flock of ghostly speed skaters.
Smack in the center is Ms. Dorrance, the light within: her sunny charisma and lanky body work in mesmerizing combination as she glides across the floor or hits it with fury. (Her coordination and speed are incredible.)”
– The New York Times"

Congratulations Michelle! We are so proud of you! 




4 comments:

Greg and Nicolle said...

Awesome! I watched the video and it gave me goosebumps!

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing the clip, Natalie. Wow. The dance that she won the Bessie for is AMAZING.

Unknown said...

That was amazing! I wish I had a better vocab to describe how I thought that was. But WOW!!!

davendebbie said...

Wow! Awesome! We could not be more proud even if Michelle were our own daughter!! Looking forward to watching Michelle in Stomp in a few weeks!!! Way to go Michelle! Thank you for sharing Natalie!